This website is for City employees.     |     COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) for Staff Resources

Frequently Asked Questions and Request Assistance Form

Most HR-related information can be found on the Employee HR website. Provided below are topics and information on frequently asked questions, requested forms, and resources, all on one page for your convenience.

After reviewing the FAQ topics, any items that need additional HR support or guidance can be submitted through the request form at the bottom of the page.

Filling out and submitting this form will help the HR department triage all incoming questions and requests.

Our employees receive benefits including health, dental, vision, life insurance, wellness, employee assistance program, flexible spending programs, and deferred compensation programs.  We participate in the Marin County Employees’ Retirement Association (MCERA) for retirement benefits and contracts with California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) to provide health insurance.

Visit our Benefits Information page for more information


Additional resources: Benefit Summary 

Check out our Policies and Procedures page. If you have any questions about any of the policies, please speak with your supervisor or contact HR.

Additional Resources: Policy Template

Visit our HR Documents page to access our forms

Q: Where can I find my job description?

A:  All Job Descriptions are posted on the City website



What You Need to Know 

The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and California Family Rights Act (CFRA) are laws that provide eligible employees up to 12 weeks of job protected unpaid leave in a 12-month period for:

  • Care of oneself or one’s family member with a serious health condition
  • Disability due to pregnancy, child birth, or related medical condition (does not apply to CFRA)
  • Bonding/caring for a new born baby, or adopted or foster child
  • Military Family Leave

Eligibility – To be eligible for FMLA/CFRA you must have worked for the City for at least 12 months, and worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months immediately preceding the start of the leave of absence. If you are not eligible for FMLA/CFRA and you are pregnant, you are likely still eligible for Pregnancy Disability Leave.

To Request Leave – Fill out Request for Family Medical Leave Form and send to Human Resources via interoffice mail, FAX to (415) 485-3191, or scan and send to

During your leave – While you are on leave, you are encouraged to stay in touch with your supervisor or manager, particularly if there are any foreseeable changes to your return to work date.

Returning to work – Before returning to work from medical leave, you may be required to provide a medical release from your healthcare provider (your return to work certification should include any and all limitations, if any).  You may also be eligible for modified duty or reasonable accommodation if you are returning to work with limitations. Modified duty is a temporary modification to the work assignment to help you transition back to regular duty.

Visit our Leaves of Absence page for links/forms

As we all know, having employees means that sooner or later, an employer is going to have to offboard an employee  (e.g. new job, retirement).

To help in this regard, please visit the Employee Offboarding page for necessary documentation to utilize at the end of the employment relationship.

See our New Hire Documents page for more information

For AFTER HOURS Reasonable Suspicion Testing, contact Preferred Alliance at (877) 272-5227.

The Position Reclassification Policy establishes procedures, requirements and timelines for requesting reclassification for any City of San Rafael classification.

A) Position Description Questionnaire
B) Reclassification Approval/Denial Form

Additional Resources: Job Action Checklist and Routing Slip

To initiate a recruitment, please fill out a Personnel Requisition form and send it to HR

Getting ready for retirement? Don’t know where to begin? Use the Retirement Benefit Estimator and checklist on our Retirement Information page to learn more.

Workers’ Compensation provides eligible workers who are either injured or who become ill during the course of employment with medical coverage and, if applicable, disability coverage. The program is legislated by State law. The City’s self-funded Workers’ Compensation program is administered by LWP Claim Solutions, Inc. (LWP).

Please visit our Workers’ Compensation page for more information

Can't find the answers you are looking for? Please fill out the HR Request Form.

Use the icon below to request additional help or assistance, if not found above.

This will help the department to keep track of day to day requests and help prioritize and triage all incoming requests.

Close window