Getting ready for retirement? Don't know where to begin? Use the Retirement Benefit Estimator and checklist down below to get you started!
Retirement Planning Checklist
6 Months Before Retirement
- Select your retirement date.
- Request a formal retirement benefit estimate and customized application from MCERA.
- Gather or order all of the documents you will need for retirement:
- Birth Certificate for each beneficiary (or copy of trust agreement)
- Your marriage license or partnership registration
- Contact appropriate agencies or advisors to determine tax withholding.
1-2 Months Before Retirement
- Contact MCERA's Benefits Team to get your remaining questions answered, or schedule an appointment if necessary.
- Tell your Beneficiary which payment option you're selecting and what it means for them.
- If you or your spouse are over 65 at retirement, enroll in Medicare with benefits effective as of your retirement date.
- Notify your employer of your retirement date.
- Submit your retirement application and all forms and docs to MCERA
Don’t forget to contact your deferred compensation representative if you participate in an employer-sponsored deferred compensation (457b) plan AND set up a meeting with Rhonda Castellucci to discuss retirement details @ 415-485-3474.
Marin County Employees’ Retirement Association (MCERA)
Address: One McInnis Parkway, Suite 100, San Rafael, CA 94903
|Active Member Benefits||General Information & Forms|