This website is for City employees.     |     COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) for Staff Resources

Common Inquiries

Unsure about where to send a call? Use this list of common inquiries as a guide:

Abandoned or inoperable vehicles - City streets  Parking Services Division  415-485-3033 
Abandoned or inoperable vehicles - private property Code Enforcement Division   415-485-3097                           
Agendas - City Council, boards and commissions City Clerk's Office  415-485-3066
Air Pollution/Fire Place Smoke BAAQMD  877-466-2876 
Ambulance Billing records Fire Department  415-485-3304
Anchoring/Mooring of boats in Canal

Police Department

US Coast Guard 



Animal complaints Marin County Humane Society 415-883-4621
Apartment and Hotel Inspection Program Code Enforcement Division  415-485-3097
Banners in Downtown Economic Development 415-485-3465
Bicycle registration Bicycle Registration  
Building permits Building Division  415-485-3085 
Burglar Alarm permits Police Department 415-485-3114
Business License inquiries Business License Division 415-485-3051
City Council information San Rafael City Council  415-485-3074
Construction complaints (private property) Building Division  415-485-3085 
Construction complaints (public property / infrastructure) Public Works Department  415-485-3355
Construction hours noise violation Police Department 415-485-3000
Debris accumulation - private property Code Enforcement Division  415-485-3097
Debris accumulation - streets or open space areas Public Works Department  415-485-3355
Debris/Dumping - waterways Public Works Department  415-485-3355
Design Review permit violations Code Enforcement Division  415-485-3085
Elections City Clerk's Office  415-485-3066 
Encroachment permits Public Works Department  415-485-3355
Fire Incident reports Fire Department  415-485-3304
Fire Investigation reports Fire Department  415-485-3304
Garbage service inquiries or complaints Marin Sanitary Service  415-456-2601
Graffiti in progress Police Department 415-485-3000
Graffiti complaints - private property Report Graffiti   
Graffiti complaints - public property Report Graffiti   
Homeless complaints and encampments Police Department 415-485-3000
Illegal or Unauthorized Use/Use Permit Violation Code Enforcement Division  415-485-3097
Illegal Fences Code Enforcement Division  415-485-3097
Illegal Signs Code Enforcement Division  415-485-3097
Illegal Living Units/Resident Habitation Issues Code Enforcement Division   415-485-3097 
Library information San Rafael Public Library  415-485-3323 
Massage Inspection Program Code Enforcement Division  415-485-3097 
Massage Ordinance Enforcement Code Enforcement Division  415-485-3097 
Marin Telecommunications Agency (MTA) Marin Telecommunications Agency 415-446-4426
Mayor and City Council information San Rafael City Council  415-485-3074
Mobile Vendors (on private streets/parking lots) Police Department  415-485-3085 
Mobile Vendors (on public streets/public property) Police Department  415-485-3000 
Mosquito/Vector Control Marin-Sonoma Vector Control District  1-800-231-3236   
Movie/Film Production permits Economic Development  415-485-3465 
Municipal Code Municipal Code   415-485-3085
Noise Ordinance information/complaints Police Department  415-485-3000 
Outdoor Dining inquiries Code Enforcement Division 415-485-3097 
Outdoor Storage complaints Code Enforcement Division  415-485-3097 
Parking Services/Parking tickets Parking Services Division   415-485-3033
Public meetings City Clerk's Office  415-485-3066 
Public Pools/Swimming Community Services  415-485-3333 
Resale Program/Report of Residential Building Records (RBR) Building Division 415-485-3085  
Restaurant Health/Permit requirements Marin County Environmental Services  415-499-6907 
Sewer/Sanitation San Rafael Sanitation District   415-485-3132 
SMART Train SMART  707-794-3330  
Special events Economic Development  415-485-3465 
Street closures Department of Public Works  415-485-3355 
Street resurfacing projects Department of Public Works  415-485-3355  
Swimming/Public Pools Community Services  415-485-3333 
Tenant/Landlord disputes Marin County Mediation Services  415-499-7454 
Tenant rights Marin Legal Aid  415-492-0230  
Tent structures Fire Prevention Bureau  415-385-3304 
Traffic Collision reports Police Department   415-485-3000
Traffic Studies and reports Department of Public Works  415-485-3355 
Trees Public Works Department  415-485-3355 
Vegetation Complaints Hillside Fire Prevention Bureau  415-485-3304 
Vegetation Complaints Vacant lots Code Enforcement Division  415-485-3097 
Zoning Planning Department  415-485-3085
Close window