Each of our Boards and Commissions (B&C) have a staff liaison who is tasked with preparing agenda and minutes for all meetings, organizing meetings, and ensuring that their B&C is in compliance with the Brown Act. The information below is provided as a guide for staff liaisons to better serve their B&C while remaining consistent with one another.
Agendas and Agenda Packets
While preparing for your B&C meeting, it is important to remember that the agenda will need to be posted at the location of the meeting that is visible all day and night 72-hours in advance of the meeting, as well as at City Hall. The City Clerk's office will publish your agenda to the website and send out meeting notifications to the subscription list for that board. This is incredibly important because your meeting cannot be held if it wasn't properly posted in accordance with the Brown Act.
- Create your agenda using our agenda template.
- Some of the headers on this template may not apply to your B&C. That's okay, take what you want and leave the rest! But please try to use the same format for your meeting. Consistency on our B&C's will help the public better understand our process.
- Send the agenda, previous meeting minutes, director's reports, or any other information that is sent to the B&C in preparation for the meeting to the City Clerk's Office care of Brittany Bober (cc Lindsay Lara). All information sent to the Committee should be included with the agenda to allow the public to receive the same information the Committee receives.
- Post the agenda at the meeting location within 72 hours of the meeting
- The City Clerk’s Office will publish the agenda packet to Granicus and send out an email notification to all B&C subscribers.
- Correspondence: If you receive correspondence related to an item on the B&C's agenda, please forward it to the City Clerk’s office, your committee members (bcc’d), and print hard copies for the meeting.
Keeping an accurate record of your meeting is vital for the history of our governance and allows interested members of the public to stay informed on City business. Check out this template for minutes that can be used to keep accurate records of your meetings.
Minutes should not be published until the Committee has approved them at their regular meeting. Once the minutes have been approved, please send them to the City Clerk’s office so they can be published to the website.
At the 2018 City Council Retreat, the City Council requested all B&C to submit an annual report to the City Clerk’s Office and have those reports published to the website by the end of each calendar year. Check out our Annual Report template and view previous year templates!
Vacancies and Interviews
If you receive notice that a member of your B&C is no longer able to serve, please contact the City Clerk’s Office immediately to allow them to create the staff recommendation to call for applications to fill that vacancy.
Once the deadline for applications has been closed, the City Clerk’s office will work with the Mayor and City Council to select applicants to move forward with an interview and select a date for candidates to be interviewed.
As the staff liaison, you are responsible for attending the interview and being prepared to answer any questions that may help the City Council make an informed decision. It is important that you know the makeup of your current membership: Expertise, geographical location of residency, etc.
Once the City Council has selected a candidate/candidates to appoint to the Commission, the City Clerk will contact them to let them know they have been selected to serve. Please be sure to reach out to your new members following their appointment and provide them with any documents that may bring them up-to-speed on the actions of your B&C. It may be helpful to provide previous minutes, annual reports, etc. Please go over the importance of the Brown Act and make sure they understand the importance of complying with those laws.