Welcome to our health topic for August — Weight Management .
Find your feel-good weight. This month we’re sharing simple tips that can help you shed extra pounds, or just keep the number on the scale from creeping up over time. You do not need to be a Kaiser member to access most of the tips available online.
The August challenge is Stand Up – get up every hour! The Stand Up Challenge invites you to get up and move around every hour at least 8 times a day for 30 days. The average worker spends nearly 6 hours every day sitting at their desk so let’s try and move this month! Studies show that the answer is to stand up and move around for a few minutes every hour of your work day…..ad a stretch for an added bonus!
Standing up gets your blood flowing and keeps you alert. Standing up regularly can reduce your risk of obesity, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer. The biggest tick to being successful for this challenge is to figure out a trigger to remind you to stand up every hour. Set your phone alarm and get ready to stand up for your health!
Building habits is easy….
1) Believe it…Pick a habit that you are excited about
2) Shrink it…Break down the habit into something you can achieve
3) Trigger it…Choose a trigger for the habit, ideally something that already happens
4) Prepare for it…Get the tools needed and prepare your environment for success
5) Track it…Write down each time you do the habit so you can see progress
6) Be it…make the habit part of your identity