The portable monitor is a master stream appliance used in defensive fire attack that can be located in a strategic position on the fire ground. This stream is capable of flowing 400 to 1000 GPM. The high flow rates produce significant nozzle reaction force which can be hazardous to firefighters. These devices need to be properly secured and stabilized to prevent movement due to nozzle reaction forces.
Key Operational Points of using Portable Monitors
- Secure device with chain before flowing water
- Keep hose line straight behind inlet for at least 10 feet
- Be sure the nozzle is above the elevation safety stop
- Be sure stream angle can enter building opening from chosen operating position
- Avoid positioning in building collapse zone